Saturday, June 21, 2008

Goodbye London

The movers show up tomorrow (which means I lose my computer!), and even though I feel that life is hectic and chaotic right now, it's only going to get more so. The three things that are keeping me from totally breaking down are: hugs from Jon, saying to myself, "You chose to do all of this" (though to be fair, who really ever knows what 'all of this' ever entails?) and thoughts of my new house in California--which will be filled with boxes as our things trickle in from Chicago and England, but it will be my house for more than a year!

Here are the last little things we're doing before the movers come tomorrow:

*Filling out inventory forms of all of our things and the replacement costs. The forms were sent to us late. At this point I fill like saying, "Just sink the ship if I don't have to fill this out!"

*Figuring out who can take all of our food. Many of you know I was able to bring over many food storage items that helped out greatly in this expensive place. Our movers in America were 'happy' to pack 100 pounds of flour, 75 pounds of sugar, 50 pounds of rice, 40 pounds of oats, lots of peanut butter, chocolate chips, 50 boxes of mac n cheese, 6 big bottles of syrup and other really important foods. A few days ago we were informed of some Bioterrorism Act by the US Food and Drug Administration. Darn those terrorists! Because of them all of our food stays--well, "all" I should say.

*Laughing at how complicated little things are like: selling our van, closing down UK accounts (Jon finds it helpful to quote lines from this comedy bit after dealing with someone), finding hotels in the UK, Chicago and San Jose for our family, getting rental cars for the size of our family (we're renting 2 vans to get our 12 suitcases, 5 carry-ons, 4 car seats and one stroller to the airport) dealing with the people who are paid to help us find hotels, rental cars, airplane tickets (which were booked on the wrong day) and set up moving details.

Amidst all of this, here's what we did yesterday (which I'm sooo happy we did!):







America, here we come!

7 comments:

Natalie J said...

It sounds too crazy. It must be hard to say goodbye to such an eventful year for you. So many good memories. Have a safe trip and I hope we will hear from you when you get settled in California.

Carly said...

...and that is not even half of it, I am sure. We just hope all goes smoothly with all your travels and hotel stays. Can't imagine doing all of that with 4 kids.

GOOD LUCK!

Hammy said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures!!! They are perfect! Good luck. So much to think about, but the other thing you can add to your list of happy thoughts: nonstop business class from there to Chicago.

Heather said...

Wow, you are one busy gal. You will deserve a nice trip to the spa when all this is over. Tell Jon I said so :)

J + A Humphreys said...

Good luck!!! I not a big fan of moving...especially with kids. But you have so much fun and a beautiful house to look forward to in Cali! I am excited to see how life treats you there. What a fun and amazing experience you had in England. So glad I got to see all your awesome pics! Safe travels and happy vacationing!

Natalie said...

What a fabulous family you have! I love the pictures.

Carole said...

Did you see Lizzie in those pictures!! She did NOT want to pose for pictures but you all look too darn cute in your matching colors and all.... how did you get Jon to go in on that one??