Wednesday, December 23, 2009

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

It's not even Christmas Day yet and I already feel like I got what I wanted for Christmas. This year I was seeking a simple Christmas packed with tons of memories (as opposed to things) and thanks to my SIL and my my wish is being fulfilled.

Favorite Gifts:
*From my SIL, Carrie, the 12 Days of Christmas ready to give to another family. How fun! Carrie did all the work (cute poems, pretty bows on each gift--it was seeping with creativity) and all I have to do each night is pass it off to Jon and the girls and off they go. LOVED IT!
*From my brother, Justin, a gift that has brought about great discussions and questions with our girls. In our name, honey bees, tree seedlings and training are being provided to families in another country through Heifer International. What a great gift! I loved it for its originality, thoughtfulness and practicality. We gave another family a source of income!!! That's cool.

Favorite Activities:
*ice skating...in the rain (Who would've guessed that 40% chance of rain meant a downpour?)
*finding any excuse for having hot chocolate, like skating in the rain (We discovered flavored coffee creamers that make hot chocolate even more fun!)
*seeing the Nutcracker with the girls--love this tradition
*watching Christmas movies
*making gingerbread houses (sorry, the houses were made with graham crackers, but I did make the royal icing that worked like magic keeping everything together) The girls invited friends over too, so in all about 12 houses were made. We will definitely make this a tradition. And I will definitely do this outside next year. :)
*looking at lights...on other people's houses (because as my girls have learned, we just don't do lights on the outside because that's the part that Jon's in charge of.)

What I'm Looking Forward to:
*making donuts (Yet another excuse for more hot chocolate--you gotta have something to dip the donuts in!)
*finding some snow somewhere (Emily wants to make a snowman and go sledding. So far, the closest snow we can find is 5 hours away, so maybe we'll do an overnighter and have some snow adventures.)
*game nights
*Christmas morning
*watching more Christmas movies (did you see this one?)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You're welcome to some of our snow here in Utah. It usually stays until March.

Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas @ home - we'll be home all day if you guys want to chat on the phone or video chat :)

Natalie J said...

I love those gifts you received! Sounds like you guys have had and are about to have some great fun and adventure. Thanks for the Christmas card. Your girls are getting so big. Merry Christmas!!

Hammy said...

So glad it has been good and you still have a day to go!

I finally gave up on Justin putting up lights and now do it myself. Instead of the roof, I line the sidewalk.

Turns out you could have come to Dallas if you wanted snow. It has been snowing all morning. (Yesterday it was 70 degrees!)

The Fear Fam said...

Sounds wonderful, Sara! I'm so glad you're having a Christmas full of memories. I love the Heifer International gift ... I've been meaning to look into that for a long time.

All the best to you and your sweet family, and Merry Christmas!