It's the little things that are making me realize that I am back in America: driving, the plethora of choices of stores and restaurants, easily pulling into parking spaces and walking around in big stores with anything I could possibly think of right at my fingertips. England is feeling very, very far away right now. It feels like I took a long trip, and I'm wondering-did I really set up life there only to disassemble it so quickly? I read some books about repatriating before we left, so I feel somewhat prepared for this adjustment period. In my book reading I learned that friends/family have about a 20 minute attention span when talking about the overseas experience. (Thankfully, I have friends and family whose attention span lasts longer--must be a sign of higher intelligence.) I'm not a very sentimental person (much too practical for sentiments), so though I am missing some things about England, I'm seeing that I can incorporate "a bit" our British lifestyle here. I am missing my cute reusable bags that are sitting in a box somewhere. I am carrying things I buy instead of bagging them. (Every time Em sees a plastic bag she says, "Did you know that when plastic bags rot there's a chemical that comes out and it can give us cancer?")
I am missing my walking community. Walking around town gave me a purpose or a reward for my walking. I could walk to the grocery store, post office, clothing store, book store, gift shop, Blockbuster, library, bakery, toy store, dry cleaners, model village and be gone for just a short time. I know where the walking communities are in our CA area and I'm excited to explore them. The school is within walking distance and new bikes for the whole family are on the list of things to purchase soon.
We ate healthier and I definitely would like to continue that and here's why:
-food prices are up so why not spend our money on food that gives us the best nutrients?
-I started thinking about where our food comes from and trying to make responsible choices--free range eggs and meat
-I'm excited to find our local CA farmer's markets and support food that's grown closer to home and start a garden of our own
I also have thoughts about gas prices. Some positive things have come because of rising gas prices. So what if the motivating factor is money and not really wanting to save the earth? People are changing habits to use less gas, including me, and that's a good thing.
I have a lot of other thoughts as I begin my settling in process. I'm sure they will continue and most of them will be private, but these are ones that I'm excited about because it makes me feel like our experience isn't over.
3 comments:
If you ever want to talk for more than 20 minutes, feel free to call me. But you'll have to pardon my jealous tears!! I'm so glad you got to go, even if it was just a year that has now become a brief memory. You have such a great attitude about keeping the lessons you learned there. It would be a waste if you came back the same person. You'll have to excuse all the rest of us though that had just a normal year. I think it will be easier to go to a new city where people won't treat you like they did when you left--even though they treat/treated you well.
We're excited that you are back in the US, but also thrilled that you had such a wonderful adventure with your family. I can't wait to see the photo albums. And you have your blog for one journal, but like you were saying, I'm sure much more inside than you posted.
By the way, I think you should keep the blog title. Even though the present year is not in England, you did have a year in England and it will always be part of you--heck, it's Lizzie's motherland.
How funny they have a book about re-adjusting to America! I would have never thought.
I'm so jealous that you'll get the farmers markets in CA. That was one of my biggest "misses" when we moved. And gardening too....it's so much easier there.
We are so glad you are back. Adjusting is difficult and personal. I'm surprised you read books about it :) Can't wait to see you!! The girls can't stand it.... they are TOO excited!
Post a Comment