Monday, November 3, 2008

Sign Waving

Here's a website to explain the background of what we've been supporting (protectmarriage.com).

I wish I had a picture of my beautiful girls standing out in the cold wind and rain waving signs to cars. It's a picture I'll always keep in my mind. I'm proud of them. Instead of me bragging about them though, I'll let them describe the experience:
Em--It was really rainy and wet. We got over 150 honks. Three people were kind of a little bit mean. One person got out of his car and started yelling at us. I made a leaf pile and we brought candy with us so that we wouldn't get hungry. (She's being very, very forgiving to all the people who waved with one finger and yelled many words I don't say.)
Ray--We went to a busy corner and did Proposition 8. We held signs saying "Yes on Prop 8". It was really busy and noisy. When we held up the sign for 10 minutes we got to eat some of our Halloween candy. I was sad because some of the people were calling us names like "You're dumb!" The people who were voting yes on Proposition 8 honked at us. We got 150 honks. It was raining. The rain was not fun.
Hannah--We played in the rain. We were in the stroller. I played with Mom. People honked. I like people.

On the ride home we talked about the freedom we have in America to voice our opinion. We talked about our choice to do it in a nice way and not in an angry way (like we saw some people choose to do tonight.) The girls have asked some great questions and however it goes tomorrow our family has had a great opportunity to teach some good lessons to our girls.

5 comments:

Carole said...

Love you even more... and your sweet girls!

Natalie said...

I'm with Carole...I love you and your girls!!

Carole said...

YOU DID IT!! Yes.. YOU!!

Geneve said...

All your hard work paid off! It was so worth it. Are you exhausted now?

Craig said...

You and your girls have much more patience then I would have in that situation. I am afraid I would have taken a different approach to the mean ones, but I am grateful for your (correct)example and my hats off to you all.