Sunday, April 26, 2009

Seriously?

I went to my least favorite place to visit on a Saturday--the grocery store. Jon had been asking for a week if I was going to go, even offering to go. I didn't think things were looked that desperate in our kitchen, but I guess some people feel that being out of chips, milk and yogurt is desperate.
Of course, the lines were long by the time I was done, and of course, I had a very full grocery cart. I stood in line for what seemed forever waiting for my turn. When I started taking my things out of my cart I heard some comments behind me like, "That is so rude!" and "I can't believe some people." Hmmm, I wondered what they were talking about. I kept taking things out of my cart and finally caught on that the couple (they were in their late 40s) behind me was talking about me! I quickly put it together--the couple had only a few things and were upset because I didn't offer for them to go in front of me!!! The comments continued, but thankfully I didn't hear all of them. But as I was packing my groceries I did hear the wife's one final word to me as she walked by--said loud enough for me to hear. Thankfully, it's a word I don't hear too often.
At what point did they think I even knew to offer for them to go in front of me--they were BEHIND me! No eye contact was EVER made. At no time did they ask if it would be all right for them to go in front of me. I could make a lot of assumptions about them, but it doesn't matter. I love being able to help others and spread kindness when I see an opportunity, but wow did I find it hard to feel any kindness and love towards them after hearing their comments!

6 comments:

Hammy said...

Good for you for keeping your mouth shut. I would have been tempted to say a thing or two. . .

And yea for two posts in one week!

Carole said...

Sara... I too admire your ability to keep your mouth shut. I would not have been able to. I need help in that area. You are one of the most kind, generous, and giving people I know- don't give this another thought.

Hope you had a fabulous rest of the weekend. I spoke AGAIN yesterday. I can only hope I am DONE for the year. We'll talk this week. Miss you!

J + A Humphreys said...

I am going to give you a 'Seriously!?' as well. What the...?? Some people just feel that the world revolves around them. It was good for them to wait. Something we need more of in this world is patience. Seems like California life is the fast and furious kind. Nice work on the yard projects! Silly Jon, I'm sure he knows by now you are going to do whatever you please. :)

Janet + Craig said...

Oh man, some people huh?

I just read in the paper that there was a stabbing at the gym right next to that grocery store, Sunday, about 1PM. Broad daylight. Be safe out there girl!

Mums the Word said...

Isn't it funny how we can so innocently be the victims of another persons assumptions about us. If only they knew your kind heart!

Carole said...

Tell me where these people live and I will be glad to "teach" them some social niceties. Oh, yeah this is Craig not Carole if you couldn't tell.