It's been a rough morning. Hannah has been fighting a cold and cough that has made her miserable. I feel for her and I pray for a very quick recovery so that both of us can be happy again! Lizzie now has her cold and cough. After a long morning of Hannah crying because I put jelly on her toast after she "asked" me to and then honey on her toast because she "asked" me to and then screaming for jelly and cookies and chocolate she spent some time in her room in her new big girl bed. (She finally figured out she can climb out of her crib last week!) Because of all of Hannah's screaming I put a sleeping Lizzie on the couch and shut the door to the living room so Hannah could scream to her heart's content in her room upstairs.
I took a shower during one of her tantrums and got ready for the day. A few moments later the doorbell rang. It was the midwife. She could tell by my face that I forgot she was coming. She was there to give me a postnatal depression test! After the morning I had had I was ready to hand Hannah over to her and run away.
Here were my thoughts as I led the nice midwife to my living room:
I'm so glad I'm dressed.
I'm so glad Hannah's dressed.
I'm so glad my house is relatively clean. (Only because the home teachers came by last night and the whole family did a whirlwind clean up!)
And then we walked into the living room where I had left a sleeping baby on the couch! Lizzie had pulled the blanket over her face, so I quickly pulled it off before the midwife saw. At least she wasn't there earlier watching me handle Hannah's screaming. :) So far, I wasn't scoring many points for a model mom.
The midwife asked me how old Lizzie was. "Ummm...I think about 9 or 10 weeks." (What mother doesn't know how old her child is????) By the way, I checked. She's 10 1/2 weeks.
Is she rolling over? "Yes, from her stomach to her back."
Oh, well the best place for her might be the floor. "Right."
Did she have her 6 week well baby check? "No."
Oh, well we need to get her in for that. "Yeah, I'll call today for an appointment." I called right after she left.
When was her last weight check? "Ummm...I haven't taken her in to weigh her yet."
O.K. Bring her in to check her weight. "Yeah, o.k. I'll do that this week." Tomorrow.
She asked some questions about Lizzie's cold and said I might need to make an appointment for a poor baby check. Of course, this would be separate from the 6 week well baby appointment and weight check appointment. When I took Lizzie in for her 6 week immunizations (at 8 weeks) I thought the nurse would weigh Lizzie and do a well baby check. But no, immunizations are done on Thursdays and weight checks are done on Tuesdays and well baby checks are done when I make the appointment!!!!!!!!!!! When I told the midwife that in America these things are all done at ONE appointment, she smiled and said "Different systems." I would choose something other than "different", like "more efficient" or "easier on the moms."
And then the postnatal depression test. After reading the first sentence "In the past 7 days..." I thought, "I already know I'm not going to score very high." The last week Jon was not home before midnight most nights and 3 of the girls are fighting colds and I had Enrichment Night I was doing. You can interpret that how you would like, but if you know me well, last week was a long one. But, I was happy to see my score of 7 out of 30 (with zero being the perfect score saved for mothers who don't leave little babies on the couch!)
3 comments:
While it sounds really nice to have the midwife come check you instead of you having to go in (and drag the kids with you), I have an interesting mental image about your experience this morning. In my mind, your midwife looks like the nanny on "Mary Poppins" that quits before Mary Poppins shows up, and is just as crotchety. The other part of how I imagine this situation is trying to imagine your facial expressions and reactions as she is asking you these questions, and to this I am chuckling. I hope your day gets better and I am happy to know you are just a normal busy mum!
What a day!!! I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones saying they have nothing to wear because everything is dirty! How interesting to have the midwife check up on you like that.
Normal!! You are normal... is it bad? of course not... lots of other tired moms are looking and reading thinking to themselves-- thank goodness it happens to others and THANK GOODNESS Sara can be open and honest about it!! LOVE YOU, and miss you more then you know!
Post a Comment