Monday, March 10, 2008

Blenheim Palace

This is Winston Churchill's birthplace. He was born here by mistake. His parents were visiting family when Winston's mother went into labor early. He was born in a room in the very grand Palace. This 'house' was a gift from Queen Anne to Sir John Churchill for winning a battle. Nice present!

We went here at the beginning of March. Our visit began with less-than-enthusiastic children. But, with over 2000 acres to explore we found enough fun things to make this palace our favorite one so far.

We spent a lot of time in the Adventure Playground. Jon and I were playing checkers (draughts) until Hannah decided we were done and put away all the pieces. (I didn't stop her because I was losing!) Next to the checkers boards were 4 large interactive puzzles (like, get through the maze by only taking left turns). Of course we couldn't leave until I figured all of them out!


Rachel enjoyed the "backyard" with fun statues to climb on. We seemed to have the only children there that very quiet day. They weren't hard to miss!!



Jon, Lizzie and Em looking for a way out of the maze.

The girls did a victory dance when we made it through the maze.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Love Churchill's castle.... I did discover that they had a great gift shop as well... could you run by and pick up a sticker book for me? I meant to get it last time but chose the wrong one! PPPLLEEEEEAAAZZZZ???? Gotta love you Rachel!

Sara said...

When Jon was in Ireland, Rachel asked him if he could stop by the palace on his way home (1 1/2 hours away from us) and pick up a sticker book she didn't have enough money to buy. She looked for that sticker book in every shop we went into while in Wales. Is persistence a virtue?