Monday, April 14, 2008

Things That Make Me Chuckle #1

I've been driving in the UK for 10 months. I've done okay (meaning the girls don't scream about cars driving towards us anymore). I still ocassionally walk to the passenger's side ready to drive and reach over my left shoulder to grab the seat belt. Those are small chuckles compared to this:
I've mentioned before the tightness of the roads. What I don't think I've mentioned before is the lack of parking spaces in the country. Solution? Park on the sides of the road, which leaves one lane down the middle of the road to drive through. Not a problem, I can weave around cars just fine. The problem comes when I want to let an oncoming car come through first. I know what I need to do--flash my lights. What I end up doing is washing my windshield! By the time I find the right stick the car has driven past me and I drive on with a clean windshield. It always makes me laugh, but the other day I was driving with Jon and he did it twice! Let me just say it's absolutely hilarious watching someone else do it!!

1 comment:

Carole said...

It brings back SO many memories of driving in Japan-- just wait until you get back here and have to switch it all back-- you'll be so confused (I had very clean windows as well). Made me chuckle to think about Jon flipping on the windshield wipers! Craig wouldn't do well with the flashing of lights. He has a hard time here when people motion with their hands to go ahead-- "it's illegal to direct traffic from your car and with your OWN hands" he says!