Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hobbies

I had a great chat with a friend a few weeks ago that reminded me once again how overly blessed I am in the friend department. This wise friend was talking about how she has shifted her thinking of hobbies since becoming a mom. Now she gets excited about finding great deals when shopping, trying out new hairstyles on her oldest daughter and cooking for her family. Not a bad list, but it made me laugh. Certainly my hobbies have transformed as well and have broadened to include things like yardwork and organizing preschool curriculum. I also like to refinish furniture and paint walls. I get satisfaction out of big projects and feel empowered when I see things change in a drastic way (which is why I like cutting down trees). I also like simpler hobbies--making things for the girls, baking and reading.
I don't know that I have a favorite because the way I do projects (throwing my whole self into it) burns me out and so I just move onto something else.
Currently my free time is invested in yardwork and reading. At night I dream about 2 dressers I want to make over for the girls. During the day the girls and I bake whenever we can. Emily has even started to take over some of the baking, which is very exciting.
What are your current hobbies? Maybe I can add a new one to my list of things to try!

2 comments:

Hammy said...

Both of my girls are obsessed with flowers--even the little one. Both love to stop and examine and smell every flower and it gives me a chance to name them and tell them what I know about them (which leads me to having to learn about new flowers that I don't know.) I love going for walks with the girls and seeing what beautiful flowers we'll find on the way and which ones we can recreate with paintbrushes or playdough.

On a side note, I also feel like my hobbies have completely changed. I wonder if I should continue to hold on to my craft supplies, fabric, etc. since I never seem to have time to use them. Right now they are taking up valuable real estate. But someday I will get to my sewing machine again, right?

Jackie said...

I like your hobbies better than my hobbies!