My philosophy has always leaned towards 'Get in there and get er done.' I might not be having a lot of fun sometimes, but I'm getting a lot done! A couple of weeks ago I talked to a friend who I have always admired. She made this comment to me: "If we're not having fun doing what we do, then what's the point?"
I'm looking at my calendar today and seeing what needs to get done. I have lesson plans for preschool to prepare and November's calendar to the parents to get out. I have a Relief Society lesson to prepare for tomorrow. I have trick or treating tonight (Trunk or Treating was last night) and 13 people coming over for dinner tomorrow so the house needs to be cleaned today. I have 3 dentist appointments and 1 doctor's apppointment next week. I'm volunteering in Emily's class on Monday. Swimming on Tuesday. Relief Society presidency meeting on Wednesday. (Am I doing everything I can with my calling?) Visiting teaching on Thursday evening. Gymnastics on Friday. Family pictures being taken on Friday. Shopping for the family picture will be fit in...???? Preschool on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. I just saw the lawn and again had the thought, 'Maybe it's time to hire someone to do the yard.' It's also time for me to get a haircut. (When???) I feel like I call on friends too much to watch my kids so that I can "Get er done!"
Yesterday after gymnastics I went to the store to get food for Sunday's dinner and next week's preschool stuff. I had a cart full when I realized I was supposed to be in Rachel's class with plates and Cheerios for her Halloween party right now!! I left the cart in the middle of the store full of stuff and RAN out, threw Hannah and Lizzie in the car and vroomed off. I hit every red light on the way home to pick up my stuff and H&L just stared at me while I growled at the lights. I tried to make it look like I was having fun doing it, but I don't think I fooled them--I think I scared them. I showed up to the party a little late, frazzled, with H&L looking like they needed a little more love and cleaner outfits. Rachel just seemed to look at me like "Yeah, that seems about right. That's my mom."
Why am I so busy and feeling like I'm doing a lot, but when you look at my house or any other part of my life one has to wonder, What is she doing?
4 comments:
There are moms that show up to the park in high heels?
I feel the same way, Sara! Thank you for the post - you are definitley not the only one going through this.
Sigh. I wish I knew how to solve this one. When you figure it out, let me know. (During all your spare time.) I looked at the date today and had a huge wave of panic because it means the craziness of December is that much closer.
Hope the family pictures turn out beautifully.
I know....there is always something that needs to be done. My solution, just don't do anything, and don't volunteer for anything. I never do family pictures (I know I should, but I don't), unless my boys are begging, I don't volunteer to help out in the classroom (I'll do things at home for school or just fork out money); I only sign the boys up for one sport/activity for afterschool (and preferably the same sport for both of them); and I don't have people over for dinner (unless I really start to feel guilty about it, and know that nothing else is going on). Oh, and my house is usually a mess until I know someone is coming over.
There. Now you know how lazy I am :)....but it does help with the stress factor.
Post a Comment