Thursday, February 14, 2008

Do You Do This?

Last night I was craving a chicken finger recipe I made a year or two ago. Chicken strips dipped in coconut, pecans and something else. Of course, I left the cookbook with the recipe in the States. Luckily, I found a similar one on allrecipes.com. Here's what the recipe called for:

1 1/2 cups plain fat-free yogurt
2/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
2/3 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut in 1-inch wide strips

I had not been shopping since we got back from our trip, so our fridge was looking a bit scarce--no milk, no eggs, no bread, no butter and definitely no panko, pecans or plain yogurt. I was not deterred, though, because I am resourceful! Here is what my version of the recipe looked like:

5 containers of kids' raspberry/strawberry yogurts
coconut (American version thanks to Carrie)
crushed up Special K cereal with berries (I thought I had picked out all the berries, but Jon said I missed some!)
walnuts
chicken

I thought they tasted great! So did Emily. Jon's comment: "They tasted like breakfast. I like breakfast."

I went shopping last night. I wanted salmon and red pepper soup for V-day and I couldn't think of what to substitute for those things--we're out of canned tuna and tomatoes! :)

1 comment:

Carole said...

You are hilarious!! Did you make the bbq-mayo dip to go with the chicken? :) Happy Valentine's Day to one of the BEST hearts I know!!