Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Doctor's Visit

Today Rachel had a visit with a "paediatric endocrinologist". Here is a very quick summary of the experience.
I left the house a little after 12:30 to go to the bank (cash is good to have). Hannah and Lizzie got dropped off at a friend's house a few cities over. I picked up Emily and Rachel from school a few more cities over and we drove to the Tube station. We took the Tube into London and made it for her 3:00 appointment. We met with the nice, young doctor who was running a bit behind (30 minutes). I was relieved to find that he uses the same tests that our American doctor uses. And the blood lab was in the same building! Good things!
Rachel's a trooper. She's done this twice a year since she was born to test her thyroid levels. She turned down the numbing cream (she's never been offered that before!) and didn't even flinch when the needle went in. She loved showing off the plaster (band-aid) and sticker and saying how brave she is because "it doesn't even hurt--it just feels like someone is hugging my arm."
Time to go home. We take the Tube back, pick up the car, pick up Lizzie and Hannah and are back to the house a little before 6! The girls eat cereal and toast for dinner while I feed Lizzie. They (all 4) take a quick bath and are in bed by 7:15--just in time for Jon to say goodnight.
Here are my thoughts:
I'm exhausted!
I think it's funny that it took as long as it did!
I'm so glad we have private insurance (as opposed to using the NHS) so Rachel can be seen by a specialist.
I'm glad I know someone who can watch my kids--she just moved here from Houston 5 weeks ago.
I can understand why many American moms here have au pairs (foreign nannies).

6 comments:

Hammy said...

Glad that it went okay and that you have a friend willing to do an all day baby-sitting stint.

Glad to see a new post and the fun new background.

Carole said...

welcome back to the blogging world. Sounds like our visit to the doctor-- minus the tube and plaster.

Talk to you soon.

Abbie said...

Sheesh! What an epic day. Thank goodness for nice friends. I think if I could ever trust anyone with my kids, besides my mom, I would get an au pair too. :) hahaha! In my dream world. :)

Heather said...

I'm glad to hear that my kids aren't the only ones getting cereal or toast for dinner.

Natalie said...

Ahh, that sounds exhausting. I can't imagine having to take the tube to appts. -mind the gap-

Anonymous said...

Makes me appreciate that our doc. is so close! You guys are troopers! Especially Ray, of course! = )