Thursday, August 20, 2009

Christmas in August!

What a fun month August has been! I've had some great finds.
Here's my list of what made me happy this month: (Happiness can be found in a box! :) )
-Wooden
Blocks-- These have been on my Preschool Wish List for years, and I finally did it! When they came it was like Christmas morning for me! I opened up the box, dumped out all 162 pieces and played and played and then let them sit on the family room floor for over a week until we had the missionaries over. I just had to smile in my heart every time I stepped over them or saw the girls building.

-Roller Boards--Did you have these in elementary school for P.E.? Because they are so fun! As soon as they were unpacked (I got 2) all 4 girls were taking turns going down the driveway. On Wednesday we had 8 friends over to play (from our Summer Babysitting Swap Group) and I got them out. So fun to watch what the kids did with them.

-A nice microscope--I think I might just be fulfilling a childhood fantasy of mine with this one, but I think it'll be a great addition to the preschool. And I have lovely visions of my girls and me being curious and wanting to look at everything under the sun.


-Bleak House--an 8 part BBC period drama mini-series not from Jane Austen or Elizabeth Gaskell (it's surprisingly a great Charles Dickens story)! Just a delight! I thought it was very well done. It took 9 days (I had a presidency meeting one night) to watch it on our new...

-NETFLIX ACCOUNT--Yeah for us for joining this new world! What can I say about this one other than I love the words "Watch Instantly."

-Katie Herzig--Thanks, Carole! I'll be adding her as a Pandora station as soon as the new month starts. (Did I (and the girls!) really listen to 40 hours of music in 2 1/2 weeks???) Ladies, you've got to listen to her "Forever" song and just let the memories flow!

-Mango Coconut Smoothie--I know it's a good recipe when I've written to the side 'triple the amounts'. Here is my diet for the summ
er all blended together for a yummy drink:
100ml apple juice
1 mango (I suggest frozen mango chunks)
4 Tbl. coconut milk
4 Tbl. bio-yoghurt (hee, hee I just love my UK recipe books!) I use vanilla yogurt.
1 tsp. honey

-I haven't made these tiered skirts yet, but I hope to soon (meaning within the next year). My friend's daughter has a similar skirt that goes with a T-shirt that's been appliqued with a butterfly from some of the skirt's material. Very cute. Very simple. But very easy? We'll see.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm definitely going to try that smoothie recipe. And I remember those blocks so well! We would make mazes for our hamsters and let them run wild. It was so fun!

Carole said...

Your preschool kids are SO lucky! (your own kids already know how cool you are!!) Forevermore by Katie is my FAVORITE song to sing with the girls. They LOVE it-- but already KNEW the words :) The skirts are very CUTE!! We had new triplets show up to our primary today (5 1/2) wearing matching tiered skirts-- adorable. Let me know how "easy" they are to make :)

Natalie said...

Wow! Those are great finds! I'll have to get some of those blocks! I had to laugh at the netflix, it reminded me of when Jon rented movies from the library for you for your bday. :) You guys are great! Miss you!