Monday, July 30, 2007

July 7 Wimbledon


The whole time I was at Wimbledon I was thinking, "Wow, I can't believe I'm here!" And then I waited for someone to ask me to leave because I was not a true tennis fan. Jon kept looking up tennis rules on his Blackberry so that we could better appreciate the game. The game was relatively quiet except for a few crowd outburts which would result in a few chuckles, a pause from the officiator, then she would flatly say, "Thank you." Then the crowd would go about whispering during plays and politely clapping with match wins. When Venus won the game I didn't even realize the game was over until people were coming onto the court to present her award. The awards ceremony was very simple and quiet--no fireworks, no bands, no crowd fanfare--just some famous British people presenting a huge gold plate. We enoyed a catered meal in a dining room with Jon's co-workers before the game and then some English desserts afterwards. It all felt traditionally British.

No comments: