Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Exercise!

Right before I was discharged from the hospital (here people don't say "the" before hospital) a physiotherapist met with me to go over important exercises I need to do. We went through each one (there are 9 of them) and after each one she would say, "And you need to do this one twice a day for 12 weeks." That's a lot of exercises! But my favorite was when she was going over the pelvic floor exercises and she said to do them 6 times a day! And I asked, "For 12 weeks, right?" And she said, "No, these you need to do for the rest of your life." The rest of my life is a long time! 6 times a day! My doctor has already pretty much sentenced me to a life of not being able to jump rope or jump on a trampoline as a grandma because I have not been doing my Kegels since the birth of Emily. I am sad at that prediction because my dream has always been to be able to jump rope ON a trampoline with all of my grandchildren at once! There goes my life-long dream. My response (though tempted to share my dream with him, I didn't) was that none of my doctors have ever stressed the importance and he was absolutely shocked (as was I!) Are only the British concerned with having strong pelvic floor muscles?

4 comments:

Carole said...

I'm doing my Kegals right now!! No more procrastination!! I want to jump rope on a trampline with my grandkids too!! (either that or laugh my head off with them-- without peeing all over the place. Thank goodness for surgery!! You crack me up! LOVE YOU!

Natalie J said...

I am in trouble!

Natalie said...

Yes! I'm in trouble too. I just don't remember anything they told me to do after deliver. I was too busy dealing with changing my entire life. :)

I HATE those excersizes!

Heather said...

That's an eye opener! Guess I better start doing them too.....