Sunday, January 27, 2008

Happiness

For our Enrichment meeting on Tuesday we're doing 2 classes--positive thinking and a brief overview of scrapbooking projects. Two weeks ago I was struggling to come up with a way to tie the two classes together, until I remembered a skit done by Divine Comedy (the comedy troupe Jon was in at BYU 13 years ago). In this skit the Young Women's president's theme for Youth Conference was "Crafting Your Way through Puberty". So, thinking of that title, I called the two classes "Positive Thinking" and "Scrapbooking Your Way to Happiness." I thought it was funny--and so did Jon! I made the handouts and a couple of posters and off to church I went. I forget how hectic it can get at church and I didn't have time to explain to the Enrichment Leader (and scrapbooking teacher) that I was trying to be funny with the scrapbooking title. She got up in Relief Society and very dryly read the class titles for Enrichment. I was laughing, but nobody else was. A good joke wasted I'm thinking.
Then the lesson starts. It was a fantastic lesson that focused on how we can only find true happiness through Heavenly Father. And right next to the teacher was my poster screaming "Scrapbooking Your Way to Happiness"!!!! Again, I'm laughing, but nobody else was.
Friday night we had a couple from church over for pizza. The wife (American) asked me what my calling was. Enrichment Leader. Then her husband (British) asks, "Was that you who did the handout for Enrichment? We've been laughing about that all week and say it all the time now whenever something goes bad--just scrapbook your way to happiness!" Yea! Others to laugh with me!

4 comments:

Hammy said...

Ah. Divine Comedy. The night I first met Jon. Of course Justin went and introduced us before the show. Jon offered me a pez. We were actually performing a little "For Strength of Youth Man" not long ago. Maren didn't get it.

Natalie J said...

I very much miss being around you Hamiltons and your senses of humor! Move to UT next (as Sarah chokes)!!

Heather said...

I'm laughing with you! That is too funny. I loved Divine Comedy. I miss those days. I still remember laughing so hard during the Seinfeld and Star Wars skit!

Carole said...

Teh joke would have totally been a hit here.... you know that! LOVE YOU GUYS!